10 March, 2008

day #10--exploring

i've been inspired lately by this artist, andrea fuhrman...her composition and juxtaposition of simple scraps creates what i think is eye-appealing art...

so , thus inspired, i spent time making this piece, "gives up the goods"... mr. pop pirate, my in-house art critic, really likes it...

here's a closer look:


this one, "stereo," is a work in progress...


still working on "no wonder" (see this post)...i know what this is needing, and that is paint...now, i have a blockage when it comes to painting...i took a watercolor class way back around 1985 when i first went to college...i liked the medium and felt proficient in still life rendering but...that was back then and now i'm using (or in this case, not really using) acrylics...some would not agree that water colors are more forgiving but that was my experience...acrylics are there--permanent, bold and not easily (for me) manipulated...i worry that i will "ruin" my hard work and vision with painting it...not quite getting the results i see in my head...

i went out friday night to our village's art walk with my best friendy, emily...we sauntered about, looking at tradition (read: boring, been there, seen that) and modern assemblage, photography...in the fort collins museum of contemporary art you can tour working artists' studios upstairs...i had a chat with a gal named lyse whose oils and acrylics have traditional landscapes but with luminescent qualities... she asked me if i am an artist, of course i said yes (and so are you, dear reader) but confided that i hesitate when it comes to adding painted elements to my art...she encouraged me to study other painters and to enjoy the process of learning about the qualities that paint has to offer....

i see on many art blogs that artists have art journals they play around in...trying techniques, exploring visions and feelings...i have a couple of them that i woefully ignore...no more...time to reintroduce myself to them....it's time to explore, to encounter my blockages and bust through them...we'll see how it goes...arrr

No comments: